13 Mar 5 tips to reduce the risk of intrusion into your company’s networkTempo de leitura: 4 minutos
As the days go by we evolve, and so does the technology around us, which has become increasingly essential for corporate life, bringing new opportunities and facilities to many companies in the market today.
But, despite the positive things, the risks also increased to the same extent, with threats of invasion and data loss. To learn how to better protect your data and your business, check out some tips to reduce the risk of intrusion into corporate networks.
How do attacks work?
The most common type of invasion in companies is data hijacking, which acts through a virus (crypto-malware) of the ransomware type. Once executed, it encrypts all data on the computer or network in question and asks for a password so that it can be accessed again. And, in order to obtain the password, a redemption amount is charged.
This type of attack occurs daily in companies from all over the world and with great penetration in Brazil. This, which is an opportunistic attack (without a defined target), is responsible for raising millions of dollars in data rescues every year. Continue reading this blog post and learn how to reduce the impacts and risks of invasion on your company’s network.
How to reduce the risk of invasion?
To avoid any type of damage from these types of attacks or even others, it is important for managers to take the necessary precautions so that the corporate network is more protected and the risk of invasion is much less.
- Strong passwords: although it is very simple, this tip is always valuable. One of the main mistakes people still make is not choosing a strong password, but choosing something easy to remember or keeping a default company password. The most recommended is that the password has numbers, uppercase, lowercase letters and special characters. In addition, it is ideal to change passwords periodically.
- Have a UTM firewall: The UTM firewall is a set of perimeter security solutions that features one of the main layers of protection for the corporate network. Understand a little more about the benefits associated with using UTM firewall by reading the blog post: UTM Firewall: benefits for analysts and technology managers
- Control the e-mail service: most viruses (malware in general) have corporate e-mail as their gateway. It is essential to have a good antispam filter, to retain malicious messages that can harm the corporate network. Also advise employees on how to identify emails with links and suspicious messages. This way, if these messages cross the anti-spam protection barrier, reaching the users’ inbox, the infection rate will be reduced.
- Update the operating system: keep your software and operating systems always up to date on the latest version. Recent versions of these programs bring new features and barriers that help prevent viruses from invasions. This also prevents some viruses from using bugs and software errors, which are eliminated in their updates.
- Have a quality antivirus: install an updated and quality antivirus on all machines so that they are safe and can fight any type of virus that passes through the initial protection barriers.
Guide company employees on the importance of being aware of basic principles associated with digital security. If you are the company manager, check with members of the technology sector how this topic is treated within your company. Most of the time, simple attitudes can make the difference, reducing the risk of invasion of the company’s network, avoiding data loss and other losses resulting from claims of this type.
To learn more about information security and find out how to make your company more secure, talk to one of our experts!